Fuji made another big mistake? X100?

Started Sep 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,880
Re: Fuji made another big mistake? X100?
In reply to larsbc, Sep 22, 2010

larsbc wrote:

Bilgy_no1 wrote:

larsbc wrote:
Bilgy_no1 wrote:

Still, they might sell quite a few, but the fixed focal camera is a cumbersome idea. Just look at Sigma DP1/2. Adding new lenses and updating bodies every now and then is a much better way to do it.

The problem with the Sigma's is that they're SLOW. Very slow. The X100 appears to be designed for photographers working in fast-changing environments. The Sigmas also don't have optical or electronic viewfinders. You really can't judge the X100's chances of success based on them.

Hi Lars, I didn't. I said: they still might sell quit a few.

It's just my opinion that fixed focal cameras are less versatile than either zoom-equiped fixed lens cameras or interchangeable lens cameras. Maybe I should have separated these two statements more clearly.

Sorry for the mix up.

As for the camera being cumbersome...I dunno. When I had a Bessa R, I had 3 lenses, a 35, 50 and 75. The 35 spent the majority of the time on the camera. So for a rangefinder-style camera, I really think I'd be fine with just one lens.

I think many photographers for whom this camera would have strong appeal (eg: street photographers) would feel the same way. For many, this camera would be in addition to a DSLR system.

I agree that 35mm is a pretty interesting FL, and that it's main attraction is as a camera on the side. The whole package looks attractively retro as well. I must say that I was very excited when I first saw it, but coming to think of it some more, it mostly seems to be packaging rather than functionality.

But hey, to each his own...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow