Fuji made another big mistake? X100?

Started Sep 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
Bilgy_no1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,880
Like?
Re: Fuji made another big mistake? X100?
In reply to larsbc, Sep 22, 2010

larsbc wrote:

Bilgy_no1 wrote:

larsbc wrote:
Bilgy_no1 wrote:
[snip]

Still, they might sell quite a few, but the fixed focal camera is a cumbersome idea. Just look at Sigma DP1/2. Adding new lenses and updating bodies every now and then is a much better way to do it.

The problem with the Sigma's is that they're SLOW. Very slow. The X100 appears to be designed for photographers working in fast-changing environments. The Sigmas also don't have optical or electronic viewfinders. You really can't judge the X100's chances of success based on them.

larsbc

Hi Lars, I didn't. I said: they still might sell quit a few.

It's just my opinion that fixed focal cameras are less versatile than either zoom-equiped fixed lens cameras or interchangeable lens cameras. Maybe I should have separated these two statements more clearly.

Sorry for the mix up.

As for the camera being cumbersome...I dunno. When I had a Bessa R, I had 3 lenses, a 35, 50 and 75. The 35 spent the majority of the time on the camera. So for a rangefinder-style camera, I really think I'd be fine with just one lens.

I think many photographers for whom this camera would have strong appeal (eg: street photographers) would feel the same way. For many, this camera would be in addition to a DSLR system.

larsbc

I agree that 35mm is a pretty interesting FL, and that it's main attraction is as a camera on the side. The whole package looks attractively retro as well. I must say that I was very excited when I first saw it, but coming to think of it some more, it mostly seems to be packaging rather than functionality.

But hey, to each his own...

Damien
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bilgy_no1

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
RFFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow