Bayer close to limit, Foveon just started?

Started Sep 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
Joseph S Wisniewski
Forum ProPosts: 33,996Gear list
Like?
Re: No, and no...
In reply to Maxime B, Sep 22, 2010

Maxime B wrote:

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

• Bayer sensors don't have a lower limit on color accuracy, they can achieve literally perfect (100% match to human eye perception) color. Foveon sensors have a lower limit of 6% color errors due to failure of observer metamerism.

You keep quoting those numbers. Any references ? I mean serious one, not DP forum messages.

Richard Lyon and Paul Hubbel at Foveon published a paper "Eying the Camera: Into the Next Century" that gave the metamerism index of the Foveon as 0.199, or an 8% error, if I remember how to get from MI to error space. That is the lower bound on color error, because of the lack of colorimetric responses.

They tried to make this look good by giving the metamerism index of two Status I filtered (color separation filters with reduced overlap for process color reproduction) and a video camera sensor. The MI

I can point you to other papers by Lyon, Hubbel, Richard Merril, and Peter Ventura of Foveon, and David Gilblom of Alternate Vision, all explaining where this limit comes from. The one by Gilblom and Ventura is especially interesting, because I'm the one who contributed the large off axis coeffcients comments and the part about 6 band, two shot "shaping filter" work.

Richard Merril incorporated this in another paper, positing a 6 layer Foveon.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
VPSNew
SameNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow