Panasonic 45-200: an apology (one image)

Started Sep 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jon Schick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,386Gear list
Like?
Panasonic 45-200: an apology (one image)
Sep 21, 2010

I've seen lots of posts about this lens and contributed to one or two. Posted a moon image a while ago and commented that although the lens was OK at longer lengths, I wasn't terribly impressed.

Well, another forum member posted one of their shots and spurred me on to try again, which is what I did last night. This time, the camera (GF1) was mounted on a sturdy tripod and I used a cable release. I need to eat some humble pie because the result was a huge improvement on my previous effort.....

I'm unconvinced that the OIS in this lens is as good as the shake reduction that I get out of my Pentax SLR, but if you get the technique right it seems to be pretty decent even at 200mm. The following shot was taken at ISO100, 1/125 f8. It's a crop that is pretty much equivalent to viewing at 100% actual pixel size, and I reckon the lens did fine:

So for others wondering about this lens, I reckon if it's used with care it will deliver the goods.

Cheers,

Jon
--
http://jonschick.smugmug.com/

Jon Schick's gear list:Jon Schick's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Olympus E-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow