Started Sep 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
rapick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,881
Like?
Re: Yes, Nikon and Canon have them...
In reply to Joseph S Wisniewski, Sep 21, 2010

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

rapick wrote:

IMHO, if any manufacturer uses an offset microlenses sensor, they would use this as a marketing highlight, the same way as Leica did.

Note: Leica X1 has about the same focal length and sensor size of Fuji X100, and iapparently doesn't use offset microlenses.
Let's not spread urban legends!

Agreed.

However, since I've measured the offset of the microlenses of the D3 and several other camera models on a lovely Milles Griot 3 axis goniometer stage, what I say about them is not an urban legend.

However, the reasoning that "if any manufacturer uses an offset microlenses sensor, they would use this as a marketing highlight, the same way as Leica did." is a logical fallacy. There are literally hundreds of clever things that Nikon and Canon did with their sensors. To list them all would fill the advertising literature with unnecessary technobabble.

Leica had two reasons to do this:

• They built the first 1.3x crop and FF rangefinders, and needed an explanation to convince people that what Leica, themselves had recently said was totally impossible was now, in fact, possible.

• Leica's Kodak sensors are a lot less interesting, technologically, than what Nikon and Canon are using. So anything that Leica had that was at all special was an excuse to brag.

So, to recap.

• Canon and Nikon having offset microlenses: fact.

• Canon and Nikon needing to brag about them: urban legend.

I stay corrected - thanks for your knowledgeable explanation.

BTW: did you measure / got information about the 'micro four thirds' sensors? Can offset microlenses sensor be an alternative to 'telecentric lens design'?
Ciao.
--
Rapick
Jalbum supporter
http://www.pbase.com/rapick
http://rapick.jalbum.net/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow