Started Sep 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Doug Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,897
Like?
Alice In Chains .....
Sep 19, 2010

Photographed the seminal Seattle grunge band last night at Molson Amphitheatre (they sold the place out).

Spent an hour standing outside in a light downpour previous to the photo op because ... well, because the publicist thinks photographers thrive on mistreatment or something. Really no good reason for it, but that's life in the profession.

Once inside the venue for the first two songs the lighting onstage was interesting, and problematic. They use an interconnecting weave of spotlights from all anlges very low to the stage (from 10 or 20 feet above, to head height at some angles) supplemented with either a blue wash (noise alert) or red wash (wipes out detail) as a fill light.

Olympus E30's w/ 14-54mm MK2 and 50-200mm lenses.

Substituted the 14-54mm for my trusty 12-60mm because I was using it on the body with the cracks around the mount from the accident at TIFF. Testing it against a brick wall it seems the damage might be cosmetic as the test photos were sharp across the frame, but I thought it best to use the lighter weight 14-54mm so as not to stress it until the E30 can be checked out at Olympus - which with my shooting schedule won't happen until close to Christmas.

Also used my home-made R-strap for the first time. Thirty-nine bucks and it works exactly the same as the original. It's made from an extra Think Tank strap, an original R-Strap camera connector, and one of many excess nylon straps I have lying around from buying too many camera bags (camera bags are to photographers what the shoe obsession is to women

Had the E30/14-54mm combo hanging from it. Much more convenient than a shoulder strap for quickly changing camera bodies. It's going to be a part of my concert shooting gear from here on in.

Cheers,

Douglas Brown

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow