Started Sep 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Gruffydd
Regular MemberPosts: 389Gear list
Like?
LX5 auto bracketing - odd behaviour
Sep 18, 2010

I've used auto bracketing on my Nikon D300 frequently, but the first time I used it on the LX5 gave some unexpected results - whether it's my unfamiliarity with the camera or a "bug" I know not!

Using Aperture Priority, I bracketed three shots at +1/0/-1 EV. It was obvious from the histogram that the -1 and 0 exposures were the same - the +1 was OK.

Tried again - exactly the same result. Examining the results later, I noticed that I'd (inadvertently) set widest aperture (F2 at 24mm) and the shutter speeds for -1, 0 and +1 (in that order) were recorded as 1/2000, 1/2000, 1/1000.

When I set a smaller aperture, the bracketing worked as expected. (E.g. 1/1600, 1/800, 1/400).

I note that the fastest shutter speed available is 1/4000. So, is my problem that the camera can't set the shutter steps because the fastest it wants to set is higher than the maximum? I don't think so, because even when I set bracketing at + - 1/3 EV I got the same result.

I would be interested if others can try this out and see whether they get the same behaviour and/or explain!!

Regards
--
John Gruffydd, Mold, Wales, UK

John Gruffydd's gear list:John Gruffydd's gear list
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow