Sony SAL30M28 30mm f/2.8 for non-macro use?

Started Sep 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
William Porter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,668Gear list
Like?
Sony SAL30M28 30mm f/2.8 for non-macro use?
Sep 17, 2010

UPS will be dropping the Sony SAL30M28 30mm f/2.8 off shortly. I was thinking of returning the Sigma 28 f/1.8 and using the Sony 30 f/2.8 instead as a default lens for my new A550. The Sony lens is a little cheaper (and slower). It's also smaller. And I will be able to use it with an A55 without having to send it back to anybody. Besides, I'm thinking I should try out a Sony lens. I have experience with the Pentax-mount Sigma lenses. (I have this same 28 f/1.8 for Pentax mount as well and like it very much.)

Anyway, my question is, is there any reason that I could not use the Sony 30 f/2.8 as a "normal" lens? It's designated as a macro, but so is the Sigma 28, yet I've used the Sigma 95% of the time as a normal lens, for shooting people at a party, sometimes for portraits, buildings, etc.

I ask because I mentioned this lens somewhere (perhaps it was here) and somebody said, "Oh, no, don't use the Sony 30 as your main lens because it's a macro lens."

Macro just means it has the CAPABILITY to focus at a short distance and blow the subject up large, right? It doesn't mean that the lens HAS to be used that way, does it?

I've been using the Sigma 105 f/2.8 macro (Pentax mount) to shoot weddings and graduations, etc. for the last two years, and haven't noticed anything wrong with the results...

Just want to make sure there's nothing special about the Sony lens that I'm unaware of.

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow