E5 looks even worse

Started Sep 15, 2010 | Discussions thread
ginsbu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,420Gear list
Like?
Re: comparable lenses
In reply to ginsbu, Sep 17, 2010

ginsbu wrote:

The 16-85 does seem to be quite a good match to the 12-60 (leaving aside weather sealing).

It matches less well against the 14-54 in terms of speed since it's more than a stop slower at equivalent FLs in the standard to tele range. This exceeds the gain from the larger sensor by more than 1/3 stop (what I'd consider enough to matter), especially if you prefer aspect ratios of 4:3 or squarer (as I do). The closest match to the 14-54 that I'm aware of is the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 , but it is apparently a step down in IQ.

Just as I selected the 14-54 over the 12-60, I'd prefer a closer match to it than the 16-85, i.e. trade a little FL range for wider aperture. Of the available alternatives, I'd probably go with the 16-85 if I switched to Nikon.

Adding on to my previous remarks, another advantage of the 14-54 and 12-60 are their relatively short close focusing distances compared with most competitors (including the Nikon 16-85). This is something I take advantage of very frequently. It would be a nuisance to have to carry a dedicated macro lens or close up filters to keep this capability were I to switch.

ginsbu's gear list:ginsbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow