Used Nikkor 28-70 or a New Tamron 28-75?

Started Sep 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,457Gear list
Like?
Re: Used Nikkor 28-70 or a New Tamron 28-75?
In reply to the_arje, Sep 17, 2010

the_arje wrote:

I can't afford a new Nikkor 24-70, so I think I've narrowed it down to the above two. I will use the lens for portraits.

Thanks in advance.

The price difference is quite large. I tried out the Tamron 28-75, Nikon 28-70, Nikon 24-85 f2.8-4 and Sigma 24-70. They were all nice. Picked the Tamron amongst the ones I tried. Reasonably sharp wide open. Excellent image quality. Fast enough in focus speed (on a d700) that I use it for in close "sports". For example kids on bumber cars (moderately dim at distances that range from right at my feet to 20 yards away), and similar things where I need some zoom and 50mm f1.4 is there for not suitable.

Yeah the 28-70 Nikon was maybe a touch better than the Tamron. But after hours of pixel peeping I could barely tell the difference. And, for the price difference I got the Tamron plus two nice primes.
--

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow