Used Nikkor 28-70 or a New Tamron 28-75?

Started Sep 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
Stoker98
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,195
Like?
Re: Used Nikkor 28-70 or a New Tamron 28-75?
In reply to the_arje, Sep 17, 2010

The 28-70mm Nikon is a totally superb lens. No disrespect to Tamron's offerings, but its in a totally different league, both in terms of its optics and its pro quality construction.

Go try one, and it will sell itself to you in minutes.

The only reason for buying the Tamron, would be for its portability. But a portrait lens is not the same thing as a travel lens. I don't mind a heavy portrait lens, as I would not want to trek it around in my kitbag just in case the need arose. If you want a portrait lens that you can carry, I would look at a used Nikon 35-70mm f2.8D. Or a prime, like the 50mm f1.4 AI-S.

If you are using a dx camera, then before setting on the 28-70mm, you might just want to try a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 EX DC HSM. It makes a good portrait lens, even if it is not as good as the Nikon. But its sharp, light enough, and has a pleasent bokeh. It falls just a little short of the quality of the 80-200mm f2.8 ED, which is the lens I like to use for portraits if I want something longer. But the Sigma is a great compromise because its relatively short and light. Its a hugely versatilie lens, so it represents probably the best bang for the $$$.

S.
--
Wait, watch, listen, then pounce !

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow