Started Sep 15, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrewteee
Senior MemberPosts: 2,362Gear list
Like?
Cameras as gadgets
Sep 15, 2010

Ignoring all of the trolling going on around here the past 24 hours (and beyond) it's clear that the status of the camera is now more than ever as gadget to be judged by its specs and not necessarily by its pictures . Especially sharpness , which is the king of the hill spec, and if a camera is not tack sharp at 100% on a computer monitor then run to the hills and jump ship. And we can't forget that any sign of noise at ISO 125,000 is cause for rioting (oh how I love the grain of Tri-X in the morning).

Very few talk about a camera's rendering or the ability to communicate a photographer's vision. To me, the Olympus DSLRs have beautiful rendering, same goes for my Ricoh cameras. My Sigma DP/x/ pictures are more perfect but the Olympus and Ricoh pictures are more beautiful.

It also seems to me that a lot of people don't get to know they're camera. They use it in iAutoWhatever and expect miracles, and as soon as it disappoints they jump ship . I've spent many hours getting to know the settings in my Ricoh cameras and Olympus E30, and let me tell you that there is a lot you can do to modify the output of any given camera and to suit it to how I take pictures. And once you know a camera like an old friend you become much more reluctant to jump ship.

To many a camera is a gadget to be analyzed and tested and fondled, to others it is a tool to capture one's creative vision. So be it.

Andrewteee's gear list:Andrewteee's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Pentax K-3 HD Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow