ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EKB
EKB
Regular MemberPosts: 201Gear list
Like?
Yet Another DSLR Newbie - D5000 or D90
Sep 15, 2010

Yes, "that" question again. What I particularly want to know (and haven't found in previous threads) is: What would I be forgoing if I got the D90 instead of the D5000? (Besides the obvious: ~$400 for buying other nice things, and the folding lcd.) I've already got a good grasp on what the D90 has that the D5000 lacks.

I've owned a few point-and-shoots over the years, starting with an Olympus C3000 (back when 3 megapixels was hot stuff) and currently a Panasonic FZ28. The point-and-shoots do well enough for me when I'm walking around outside in daylight, but I want something better for indoors/low light.

I expect I'll be using the DSLR mostly to shoot group & full-body portraits and candid shots, both with and without flash, under the usual household lights. Also various objects (furniture, museum displays, etc.) under similar low-light conditions, and possibly some macro stuff.

I use my point-and-shoots mostly in auto mode. I'm willing to pick up various manual-mode tricks as they become useful to me, but I'm not really gung-ho about becoming a Master Of The Camera.

I've narrowed my choices down to either a D5000 or a D90. The D3000 feels a bit too small in my hands, and I expect the D3100 to be likewise. I like the bigger lcd and viewfinder on the D90, and who knows, I might end up wanting to use the extra controls after all. OTOH, there is that price premium, plus whatever nice-for-newbies stuff I might get with the D5000 but not the D90.

EKB's gear list:EKB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow