Started Sep 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dark goob
Contributing MemberPosts: 958Gear list
Like?
E-5 is targeted at Nikon mostly
Sep 14, 2010

The E-5 seems to be an evolutionary step forward from the E-3, and to compete most directly with the Nikon D300s. Olympus and Nikon seem willing to let the larger electronics giants like Canon, Sony, and Panasonic duke it out in the battle for the 1080p video market.

So it seems most useful to think about the Olympus E-5 in terms of its most direct competitor, the Nikon D300s. The questions for potential buyers shall be, "Which camera offers the best features? And, "Which system offers the best selection of lenses for the camera?"

There it becomes clear that the E-5 offers a compelling option that quite holds its own, having unique strengths, and thus will have a market. The rotating screen and in-body stabilizer are two aspects that I have found indispensible on the E-3, and currently the E-5 will be the only pro-level camera with both of those features.

The E-5 breathes new life into the Four Thirds DLSR standard. Personally I feel that it seems to address the only major flaw in the E-3 (noise) and brings the rest of the camera up to current standards (LCD size/res., sensor resolution, digital level, and AF tuning).

For me, it will be worth upgrading from the E-3 for those reasons. The reduced shadow noise will be awesome with my new 25mm f/1.4 Leica Summilux

-=DG=-

dark goob's gear list:dark goob's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow