Why a 1080p @ 60 FPS GH2 is so important.

Started Sep 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,669Gear list
Like?
Why a 1080p @ 60 FPS GH2 is so important.
Sep 14, 2010

Did you know that the Panasonic HDC-TM700 camcorder has the highest resolution of any camcorder camcorderinfo.com has ever tested? At 1000 horizontal lines of resolution and 900 vertical lines of resolution it has 1.5 times that of a GH1. However, that is only in 1080p @ 60 FPS mode.

When the HDC-TM700 is tested in 1080i mode the resolution drops to roughly the same as the GH1. The reason for this is how the number of lines are measured. They use a 1080p TV to display the image. In order for the TV to display interlaced video progressively it will perform some manner of deinterlacing. This deinterlacing in TVs is almost always destructive and results in some loss of quality and resolution.

Now, that doesn’t mean that 1080i can’t be losslessly displayed. In fact many of the cameras(Sony cameras, Panasonic GH1) that record 1080p video will embed it in a 1080i container. You can losslessly retrieve the original 1080p video from those cameras with telecining or proper deinterlacing. However, most TVs are not going to do that properly.

Even some programs and streaming video websites won’t do the deinterlacing properly. Even though the 1080p video is there what you end up with will be closer to 720p than 1080p.

Therefore, what the GH2 really needs to bring to the table is true progressive 1080p @ 60 FPS and at 24 mb/sec or higher H.264. That is the best way to retain all of the resolution no matter what display you are using.

Currently, there isn’t a way to efficiently share the original 1080p @ 60 FPS video since Blu-ray and streaming sites don’t support it. However, 1080p @ 60 FPS offers you the ability to do full resolution 1080p @ 30 FPS slow motion, 1080p @ 30 FPS regular speed, 1080i at 60 Fields per second, and true progressive 1080p @ 24 FPS.

If you truly want the ultimate video quality in a still camera it won’t happen until we get 1080p @ 60 FPS.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-HDC-TM700-Camcorder-Review-37681/Motion-amp-Sharpness-Performance.htm

HDC-TM700 Video Sharpness

"The HDC-TM700 did spectacularly well in our video sharpness test. The camcorder measured a horizontal sharpness of 1000 lw/ph and a vertical sharpness of 900 lw/ph. The impressive vertical sharpness is what stands out here, as no other consumer camcorder we've tested has been able to crack the 600 – 700 lw/ph barrier. What we found on the HDC-TM700, however, is that the camcorder's 1080/60p setting was able to produce a sharper image in our vertical testing. We're not sure why this is, and there are probably other aspects at play here, but it was clear in our testing that the HDC-TM700 had a better vertical sharpness than any other camcorder we've tested. (More on how we test video sharpness.)

When we tested the HDC-TM700 using its 60i setting, the camcorder produced a vertical sharpness of around 650 lw/ph, which is identical to what the HDC-TM300 earned. So, if you want the sharpest image possible from the HDC-TM700, you should use its 1080/60p settings—the only problem is this footage is nearly impossible to work with or edit on a computer."

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow