Going from 7D to 5DMKII ... Will I be able to get used to the auto focus?

Started Sep 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
akin_t
Senior MemberPosts: 2,734
Like?
Going from 7D to 5DMKII ... Will I be able to get used to the auto focus?
Sep 14, 2010

I have a 7D with the following lenses: 15-85mm, 35L, and 135L

I'm really really thinking of making the move to full frame because I love the exaggerated shallow DoF.

However, I have problems with making the jump hopefully you guys can guide me in the right direction.

1. I have in no way out grown the 7D, in fact I'm an amateur and my work isn't anything spectacular. I'm thinking it makes sense to train myself first before making more investments in gear.

2. I am so used to the auto focus of the 7D, particularly the 19 point system. Now while I will primarily be shooting people and landscapes (something the 5DMKII excels at), I'm not at ease taking a step down in the AF department, especially with a feature I rely on so heavily.

3. Resale value of my 15-85mm and my 7D (Unfortunately I cannot afford to have 2 cameras I will have to sell the 7D if switch. Good move?). I plan to replace the EF-S 15-85mm with either the 24-105 f/4L IS or 24-70 f/2.8L if I do make the switch.

4. Lastly, and the one I'm most ashamed of, is worrying that I will have buyer's remorse when the 5DMKIII comes out. I just have a baseless feeling that it will have the 7D's AF system.

There's no hurry, I know I have time as I still have so much to learn; but for whatever reason, I have this idea in my head that I'm not capable of producing my best work without the 5DMKII ... Of course this is not true, there are people out there who have done wonderful things with the 7D.

For my shooting style though (People in low light, HDR landscapes, Street candids) I think the 5DMKII would better suit my needs ... I do not shoot sports, I do not shoot wildlife, I only own a 7D because of the 5DMKII was too expensive for a first dSLR.

Your opinions? Should I stick to the 7D until I gain more experience?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow