Started Sep 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lloyd007
Senior MemberPosts: 1,354
Like?
Zeiss 135/1.8, 135 STF, or wait...
Sep 14, 2010

My cousin's wedding is coming up which is leaving me with a perfect excu... errr... reason to get a new lens for my a900. Right now I have the 16-35/2.8 (my 'normal' lens), a Minolta 50/1.7 (pretty much unusable below f2.8 due to 'veiling haze' but otherwise good performance for $70 off the bay), the 70-300g (lightweight, reasonably compact, great IQ, silent... but slow especially for available light). I used to have a Minolta 50mm macro and 100mm macro, both sold due to disappointing IQ (but then I could also have gotten duds from e-bay)...

After looking at lots of images and reading reviews I know the Zeiss 135/1.8 is second to none in any system and would be a great lens for the wedding and elsewhere (I'm not going to be the 'pro' photographer, but still...) My question about that lens for owners is is the screw drive loud?

Second should I look at the bokeh monster 135STF? My big reservation about that lens is the nature of its CA (which seems to be quite high) and that it's yet another 'slow' lens which in low light and higher iso could negate its intended benefits on the a900...

Or should I hold off and save my money for a FF tease at Photokina and early 2011? I'm kinda torn between my lens lust and my tech lust. I REALLY want a FF Alpha that has live view.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow