Bunch of lenses/filters - Any of it any good? Need a UV? Hood?

Started Sep 13, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
markgv
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
Bunch of lenses/filters - Any of it any good? Need a UV? Hood?
Sep 13, 2010

I'm anxiously awaiting a Pentax Kx I just ordered with the 18-55 and 50-300 lenses kit. This will be my first DSLR, so I have some learning to do to figure out what it is capable of doing. In the meantime, I was given a bunch of old/er lenses and filters, and I'm trying to figure out if any of it is worth keeping. I've done a bunch of Googling, but I'm not sure about the quality of this stuff. It's all 52mm threads, and if I understand the specs correctly, that is the thread size for the 18-55 lens.

Any of this worth keeping? Will it work with my Pentax Kx and the 18-55 lens? Will they hurt the lens or the mechanics of it by using them?

Starting at upper left,

• There is a collection of macro lenses: Close-up No. 1 and Close-up No. 2 Nikon F; Hoya +3; Nikon Close-up No. 4T - These can be just be attached in any combination for macro shots, right?

• Ambico Video V-3100 Telephoto 1.5x Lens Does adding this on just provide the 1.5 magnification? I'm guessing I'm better off just using the bigger zoom lens.

• Tiffen Super One Touch Video Conversion 0.55x Wide-1.5x Telephoto (Made in Japan) This one looks a little questionable...

• Raynox DCR-720 Wide Angle Conversion Lens 0.72x - I did find some info on this one, and it seems to be a decent lens. If I attach this to the 18-55, does it basically turn it into a 13-36?

• Tiffen Sky 1-A

• Massa CPL (circular polarizing lens)

• Spectralstar (no brand)

• Quarry-Optics Fog

I understand how the filters work if I'm looking for a particular effect.

And while I have your attention, should I be attaching some kind of filter on the lenses just for protection? From what I gather, many people attach a UV filter. Does any such filter work including the ones you can get for a buck or so on ebay? Or is it worth paying more for a name brand?

Finally how important is a hood? I've seen both tulip ones and expandable ones. Do they work equally well for the 18-55 and the 50-300?

I really appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thanks! Mark

markgv's gear list:markgv's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow