70-200 Canon v Sigma (some head to head shots)

Started Sep 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
osullis
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
70-200 Canon v Sigma (some head to head shots)
Sep 11, 2010

Today I did some head to head comparison shots on my Canon 30D. After looking at these carefully, here are my impressions.

1. The Sigma is not fully 200mm. In comparison to the Canon, it appears to be about 185 or so.

2. The Sigma OS FEELS like it's more stable, but it is slightly less effective than the canon in some shots, and much less effective in some shots. It's also much louder.

3. In lower light conditions, the Canon's sharpness advantage is clear, especially when viewing 100% crops.

One thing that was not possible to compare was the accuracy of the AF systems for moving objects -- I used static objects.

In many cases, I found the Sigma satisfyingly sharp, and in other cases less so. At it's best, center sharpness was probably as good, when lighting was sufficient. Out at the edges of the frame, the Sigma was less sharp, overall, with more noticeable vignetting. In more challenging lighting conditions, when the lens had to rely on the stabilization, the Canon was noticeably better in most shots.

Please, no flaming.

Sigma

Canon

Canon

Canon

Canon

Sig

Sig

Sig

Sig

Sig

Canon

Canon

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow