E-PL1 Questions from a Nikon DSLR user

Started Sep 7, 2010 | Discussions thread
Sam Bennett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,235Gear list
Like?
Re: I tried the E-PL1 today
In reply to sean000, Sep 9, 2010

sean000 wrote:

I think my GF1 battery lasts as long as the batteries for my DSLRs.

The GF1 definitely doesn't last as long as my D700 - it's usually good for about 400 shots, depending on whether I'm using IS or not, etc.

The GF1 will also seem larger than expected...

Hah! After having to use the D700 while my GF1 was out on loan I was just shocked at how light it felt when I got it back! LOL But you're right, some may go into it expecting it to be like a P&S, which it's not. The E-PL1 is definitely chunkier - has more of a "My First Camera" feel to it. That's not to say it feels cheap, it doesn't - but it's not quite as slick (literally and figuratively) as the GF1, imo.

I sold my LX2 and a couple of Nikon lenses that would have been redundant to get my GF1 kit. I still have far more DSLR kit than m4/3, but I'm thinking about selling a another Nikon lens so I can get another m4/3 lens.

Since I've essentially stopped shooting professionally, I'm about 95% sure I'll be selling the rest of my Nikon gear after I shoot my last event scheduled this year, next weekend. Spending the last two weeks with the D700 was pretty eye-opening. Not only is the D700 big, heavy and awkward to wear around town, but... I don't like shooting portraiture with it, it's as simple as that. The D700 has absolutely outstanding IQ - especially in terms of DR and noise - but I almost exclusively shoot "socially" at this point, and the D700 is just feels like a somewhat archaic burden at this point. Looking through a viewfinder might make you look cool to others, but it's actually very limiting in a lot of ways. I enjoy the act of photographing more with the GF1, by and large. This has been the most surprising aspect of owning the GF1.

Selling my D700 will coincide with about a year spent with the GF1, so I'll be starting up a thread exploring my experience more. Needless to say, there's some shooting I used to do frequently where I wouldn't even consider shooting with the GF1 and the D700 was and is still fantastic for that kind of work. But like the E-PL1, even the venerable D700 doesn't quite fit my needs right now.

-- hide signature --
 Sam Bennett's gear list:Sam Bennett's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow