Will other hi res cameras produce 3D effect?

Started Sep 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
Ed_S
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,074
Like?
Re: Will other hi res cameras produce 3D effect?
In reply to guzzibreva1, Sep 9, 2010

Lots of good thoughts offered. Many of these are I think components of the "Foveon Effect", "3D Look", "Verisimilitude", etc. The technical explanations for the most part cover the "infrastructure" for want of a better term. Not all people perceive a unique quality side by side vs. other technologies. And IMHO not all Sigma photos equally demonstrate whatever unique qualities may arguably be attributed to a Sigma image.

In short, for a given x-y count of photodetector sites (in other words, without the fratricide inducing X3 Sigma math) an image from a 4.7mp Sigma Foveon camera may look comparable (some would say superior) to an image from a 10mp CFA camera - glass, illumination, technique being similar. A big part again IMHO is the sharpness or detail at color boundaries. If one successfully exploits that capability, for instance, a sharp colorful subject against a less distinct and contrasting or subdued background, the subject seems to some to lift itself out from the background, even though displayed in only 2 dimensions. There are doubtless, countless other examples. Partly a different and in the eyes of advocates (myself included) a "superior", for many purposes, technology. Significantly dependent upon how the photographer uses it.

Can other technologies produce a similar result? I think so - but as at least one previous post suggests, best accomplished by an image from significantly higher MP count CFA camera, properly downsized to similar viewing size alongside the Foveon image.

Best,
--
Ed_S

http://www.pbase.com/ecsquires

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow