E-PL1 Questions from a Nikon DSLR user

Started Sep 7, 2010 | Discussions thread
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,838Gear list
Like?
Re: I tried the E-PL1 today
In reply to snegron, Sep 9, 2010

snegron wrote:

I went to Best Buy and tried the E-PL1 today. Ironically, the salesperson wanted to sell me a Nikon DSLR! I politely informed him that I was there to try the E-PL1, but he was pretty persistant.

Anyway, I got to play around a bit with the E-PL1 finally. It was a bit larger (and lighter) than I expected. My impression was that in terms of speed (from the time I press the shutter release button to the time it captures the image) it felt pretty much the same as my LX3. The kit lens was longer and larger than I thought it would be. The battery went dead halfway through my testing, so I couldn't play around with all of its features. Also, the salesman was starting to get on my nerves.

The kit lens, of all the made-for-micro-lenses, is going to be the worst performing of the lot in terms of speed, optically (f3.5-5.6) or focussing. It's also the cheesiest in terms of just how it feels. It is probably no faster than a camera like the LX3 and not a really good indicator of how good the system can be when used with the better, more expensive lenses, which you may not be wanting to buy.

It's when you start comparing files shot at ISO 800 and higher where you start appreciating it over an LX3.

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow