fermy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,167
Like?
Re: I'm not just talking about AF...
In reply to Sam Bennett, Sep 9, 2010

Sam Bennett wrote:

I think part of the problem here is defining what's an "action shot"

Agreed

The place I found the E-PL1 to be problematic is where either you or your subject is moving and you need to be able to track with that movement.

Right. I didn't realy try focus tracking myself, but I've read plenty of comments from other users that all are saying pretty much the same thing "focus tracking is unusable" to not even try.

What unstable liveview feed? You mean Live view is not stabilized as in IS not working in liveview? Otherwise live view on my E-PL1 is exactly what my lens sees at any given moment, not something it saw 2 seconds ago. There must be some major difference between out settings because I just don't understand what you are writing about. I really don't.

It may come down to Face Detect, that's all I can think. But you can see by the video that the Live View is "jerking" as you move around and re-focus. That's what I mean by "unstable". There's also a exposure "ramping" effect that's distracting.

I think it is the face detect, because I never experienced such jerkiness myself.

Yeah, that's the silliness I was talking about. Actually any filter (not just ND) will take you to the same exposure as you'd get on GF-1. You need only one filter too as there is only one native fast lens. If all other problems that you are talking about are of the same magnitude...

I often go between shooting indoors and outdoors, and removing and replacing an ND filter just isn't going to happen. I take my GF1 everywhere, usually sitting on my hip in a holster - I don't have a bag with me unless I'm out specifically to shoot. Again, since the GF1 gives me both a real ISO 100 and a 1/4000th shutter speed, it its just better suited to me in this regard.

Sure, one can easily come up with scenario where 1 extra stop of shutter speed is useful and I would rather have that stop than not. However, when this is presented as a major advantage/disadvantage, I am incredulous since it's very straightforward to deal with.

Coming back to the original discussion, I think we can agree that if Face detect + AF tracking are important, then E-PL1 is not the best camera. However, when you stick to single frame AF, the performance is good enough.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow