Need upgrade lens advise on EOS 550d kit

Started Sep 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
sparkiUK
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Re: good advice: whatever works well for you
In reply to arty H, Sep 9, 2010

Thanks for all your comment, I've taken a look at what most of my photos' are and i only really want one lens, mainly as i travel a lot and can't really carry around too much. Most photos are landscape or portrait shots, and very few 'sporty' ones, though i did take some at the weekend of my kids karting, but even then only need 130mm. So, I don't really need anything beyond 135mm. As for the 'wideangle' end of the spectrum, is there really much difference between 18mm and say 24mm? Reason i ask is it narrows it down somewhat to say the

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, or the
Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM , which may be ok

Less than 125mm then i would need 2 lenses i think.

I could if i sell a kidney perhaps stretch to the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS USM but even then the 105mm may not be enough for me.

Is there a better lens between the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, and the Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM?

Are either better picture quality wise than the kit lens 18-55mm? As far as i can tell, from lots of reviews and forums, there does not seem to be a better lens than the kit 18-55mm lens in the 18-135mm range.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow