New "Walkabout" Lens

Started Sep 7, 2010 | Discussions thread
Mannypr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,363Gear list
Like?
Re: New "Walkabout" Lens
In reply to rmcovering, Sep 9, 2010

Totally agree with RMcovering. I have the Nikon 18-105 and can say it's very sharp and extremely light and has VR. The only problem with it is that it has heavy distortion at the wide end but if your not shooting buildings you won't have any problems with it at the wide end ( personally I feel you will be shooting buildings as some of them where your planning on going are phenomenal and I'am sure you will want to take a pic of them. Plus it's really not that contrasty as the 16-85 which is as sharp but a bit limited on the focal lenght plus also has distortion on the wide end. The tamron would as I see it give you great low light performance plus quality pics plus a telephoto lens the reach you will need . The Tamron 17-50 F2.8 also has vibration control . It's so good that Tom Hogan says it's comparable with the Nikon 17-55mm which cost well over a grand.

Mannypr's gear list:Mannypr's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow