Need help to find a pocketable as near dslr quality camera as possible.

Started Sep 9, 2010 | Discussions thread
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,535Gear list
Like?
Re: Need help to find a pocketable as near dslr quality camera as possible.
In reply to KaliKali, Sep 9, 2010

KaliKali wrote:

Here is what I currently own:

Canon 5d Mark2 (many lenses)
Canon 40d
Canon g11
Canon sd450

I recently purchased the g11 and although many have raved about the quality, it isnt near what I was expecting. I have been spoiled with the 5d and want as near quality to that as I can.

The 5D2 and it's peers will spoil one. For my satisfaction I've found that µ4/3 and the LX3/Dlux4 require forgiveness. That is, at 100% on screen they're for the most part disappointing in comparison. But with good developing of RAW, and viewing the finished product at practical sizes/distances (on screen the largest would be about 75%, prints just need to be viewed practically), one can find satisfaction.

But pocketable is relative. I can fit the LX3/Dlux4 in a jeans pocket, but it's a squeeze. Something like the s90/s95 might be what you want. I've only heard good things about them, but they are more pocketable than the LX3.

It took some time for me to accept less than 5D2 IQ. But in reality, lesser sensors pretty much equal the state of the art sensors of several years ago (which we accepted because there was no better). A bit of perspective is required to go smaller than the 5D2. I've come to enjoy the challenge of getting something respectable from "inferior" gear (again, in comparison [g]).

For whatever that's worth, best of luck in your quest.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

'Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't.' - Little Big Man

http://www.bobtullis.com

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow