Started Oct 23, 2002 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Apolinario
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?
New Custom Curve +0.7 EV
Oct 23, 2002

Stop! If your only complaint about the D100 is the underexposure issue, don't sell your D100's yet! I just made a custom tone curve that simulates +0.7 EV without clipping highlights. I just took several photos using my new curve. I shot first at the normal tone setting with the camera's programmed exposure. Then I shot with my custom tone curve with the programmed exposure. Finally, I shot with the normal tone at +0.7 and the photo looks almost the same as my custom tone shot except for that the skies are not as blown out in my custom shot. I took several other shots to confirm this and all results are the same. Later tonight, I will post the results. I think most of you will be pleased.

FYI, I had read the translated French solution to D100 exposure problems after I had made these curves and found that it explained in a couple of pages what I had taken 1000 shots to discover, that the problem is not underexposure, but rather a compression of the image's tonality towards

the darker values. The trick is to increase the tone of the darker values without changing the lighter values and without losing contrast.

Other curves I have seen in the past increase the darker values, however, they lack contrast. I have two other curves, one is a +0.0 EV that simply cleans up whites and increases contrast somewhat, but doesn't have too much effect on overall brightness (I will post photos I had taken yesterday using this curve tonight as well). I also have a +1.0 EV that really brightens up the photos and increases contrast, however, I think it is overkill. I will upload all my curves to my website as well for anyone to download.

Stay tuned!
--
You cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OppsNew
HelpNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow