Started Sep 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sparkiUK
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Need upgrade lens advise on EOS 550d kit
Sep 8, 2010

Hi, I've just bought the Canon EOS 550D with the kit lens, and I also have from my old Canon EOS 350d a Hi, looking at buying the EOS 550D, body only i think. I have the EOS 350D with a Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II . Initial tests at 50mm show the Canon kit lens far superior to the Tamron, possibly due to the absence of IS? I'm no expert on lenses.

Can you recommend a lens to go with this camera. Should i keep the Canon kit lens and add something to it? Or sell it and buy something else. I won't be keeping the Tamron i think. Budget for lens is around £400. Can anyone advise?

Was thinking between the kit lens which is the Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS, or the
Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS or possibly the
Canon EF-S 15-85mm IS USM

Don't think i need anything greater than 135mm. Most of my photos are landscape and portraits, with the odd sport photo but very few. Checking through photos i've taken this year most are between 18 and 125mm, very very few at the 200mm my current lens does.

Read good and bad things about each, but are any a step up from the kit lens bearing in mind the photo's i currently take?

Doesn't have to be Canon, just read they were good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow