Started Sep 7, 2010 | Discussions thread
alex66
Contributing MemberPosts: 540
Like?
Re: I owned one for a week...
In reply to Sam Bennett, Sep 7, 2010

Sam Bennett wrote:

snegron wrote:

I like the EP2, but I don't want to spend too much money at this time. The review of the E-PL1 here indicates that DSLR users will not be too thrilled with it, but I'm wondering if there are any DSLR users here who have been using an E-PL1 frequently?

I owned an E-PL1 for a week, and while I think it's a great value and really does have a great JPEG engine, I would agree with reviewers who say that if you're used to dSLR performance, you'll probably be let down with it. The camera is not as "snappy" as most dSLRs, and certainly no where near as snappy as a professional Nikon. The Panasonic's are much better in this regard through a combination of more confident focus (particularly in low light with the AF assist lamps), a more "reliable" Live View and shorter viewfinder blackout. The GF1 hits the sweetspot of being super-compact but having "dSLR-like" performance, while the E-PL1 still felt like a P&S to me.

-- hide signature --

I have both an Ep-1 and a G1, the af is more snappy on the G1. Also I think you will find the Iq quite pleasing on the G1. I had the D200 and must say i was not too impressed, I had a Fuji S3 at the same time and much preferred it. Of course this is my opinion but I think the iq is better on the µ43 cameras than on the D200. I was going to get a D300 but got a good deal at the time on a Canon 5d and the lure of full frame got me. Is there some place you can try them out? The other option would be something like a D5000 with a prime or a lighter zoom though it is bulkier and heavier than the µ43 cams it is a lot lighter than the D200.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow