ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alpha Beta Photo
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Speaking of blowouts.....
Sep 3, 2010

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=36183350

above is a link to a thread including photos taken with a sony dslr . the camera is an a850 - the 24 megapixel full frame top of their line (its a virtual a900 - the tip top of the line).

the detail in the first shot is nice but not anything particularly special. yet the first version of those shots are tweaked RAW to jpeg. two posts down the original jpegs are posted and plenty of blown highlights are visible as well as blacked out shadows. take a look at the awful shot of a seal on a buoy. i though it was a vinyl sandbag until i inspected it closely. blown highlights abound on the ship and the buoy. the yellow flower (black eyed susan?) is mediocre at best with or without processing. the only photo i liked was that of el capitan, yet the jpeg version is very lackluster.

remember, all of these shots were taken on a full frame 24 megapixel camera, the very top of the sony line, and equivalent to cannon nikkon models costing upwards of $5000!

yes they can render scenes much better than this but at the same time they can also produce plenty of duds. there are many shots taken with a fuji small sensor camera (especially macro) that blow these shots out of the water.

bottom line - all digital camera blow highlights and clip no matter the cost. only deluded digital fan boys say otherwise. that's why film is still valued - it doesn't clip harshly or at all. with digital you pick your kind of poison and will always get the same results overall. for their price and features, the latest fuji digital cameras (aka poison) do extremely well for the money.

alpha

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GaaaNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow