Started Sep 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sigmauser01
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?
Retouching Foveon Images [IMG]
Sep 2, 2010

I recently had a friend of mine ask about the files the Foveon sensor produces and whether the lack of an AA filter makes re-touching a more difficult process. I do a lot of professional re-touch work so I have worked with files from just about every modern pro digital camera plus a lot of scanned films. I no longer have any Sigma cameras so I just downloaded one of Carl's RAW packs so I could give him a quick demonstration of what is possible. Carl I hope you don't mind!

I downloaded SPP4 for mac to do the conversions, I have to say I like the way it handles the X3F files more than previous versions for color images, B&W I am still on the fence about. The edits were made in PSCS5, I was on my friend's computer so I cannot vouch that it was color calibrated. I feel that the images that the Foveon sensor produces have a LOT of room to work with in terms of retouch. There is a lot more head room in DR and good pixel detail in the files than a lot of far more expensive professional cameras. I do feel that there are still too few pixels to work with from the current Foveon chip, hopefully that will change in the future!

Anyway here are just two quick samples I made using Carl's photos. Hopefully it will help others get a feel for how much the files can be manipulated without losing the integrity of the image's quality. The original image with no edits from the RAW capture is on the left, it is straight out of SPP4 as a 16 bit TIFF with no adjustments made on the sliders. On the right is the edited 16 bit TIFF file. The images were converted to Jpeg in PSCS5 and saved in sRGB for web.

Click to view larger.

PS. Be sure to check out the SPP4 editing videos that Carl has up on his site, they are excellent as always!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow