Machu Picchu +A850+light rain = Brick - warranty?

Started Sep 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Eric_1
Regular MemberPosts: 361Gear list
Like?
Machu Picchu +A850+light rain = Brick - warranty?
Sep 2, 2010

Help!

Yesterday I was in Machu Picchu during a gorgeously foggy, rainy day shooting with a Tamron 28-75 and my a850. After about 3 hours of intermittent rain with the camera coming in and out of my poncho, I looked down to see my camera not responding! I immediately took out the battery and put the camera away.

I tried turning on the camera again today with several batteries - no luck so far.

The camera is still under warranty, and based on Sony´s claim of "Moisture/dust-resistant design," I´think it would be fair for them to replace the camera.

Two questions:

1) What should I do to try to revive the camera? Is there any hope?

2) What do you think my chances are with Sony customer support to get the camera replaced? Have any of you had any experience with a camera breaking from water damage?

Sony´s weather sealing claim for the a850:

Sealed viewfinder optics and rubber gasket surrounds on all buttons, dials, and switches help resist the entry of dust and moisture into the camera, and allow for safe use in a wide range of environments.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Eric
--
http://picasaweb.google.com/EricSL

Eric_1's gear list:Eric_1's gear list
Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow