Can a wildlife Photographer make money at stock?

Started Sep 1, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chato
Forum ProPosts: 43,505Gear list
Like?
Can a wildlife Photographer make money at stock?
Sep 1, 2010

Recently there were some threads about iStock, which consisted of some people who find validation of their photography because iStock accepted them, making them "real Photographers." Basically a group of pixel peepers.

iStock essentially, as far as its contributors goes, uses the propaganda of a team.

They hype you up! Sort of like some big Non Union company like Walmart that pays nothing but holds out the promise of advancement if you're a good little boy - "Think Stock" is their favorite expression.

Now I'm sure there are plenty (if not the majority) of iStock contibutors who are just people who see an opportunity to make a little money on the side. And there are some who plan and post the worst Madison Avenue garbage and make Good Money at iStock. One of the Trolls on the iStock thread is a perfect exanple. While I have no problem with his successful planning to make money, I find his claim to be a top photographer based on his junk very annoying.

Anyway, I applied to Alamy, and they've accepted my images. Their approach is at least one of an adult to an adult.

So my question is, can I actually make some money doing this? My wildlife shots are quite good, but there are quite a number of people who can say that, and even a lot of people who are far better than I. Of course, a lot of good shots are simply a result of luck and the ability to be at the right place at the right time.

Any advice? I'm now supposed to manage my images.

Dave

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
GMABNew
NoNew
LOL!New
YeahNew
LookNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow