Why, oh why, isn't there a good matching flash for LX3?

Started Aug 30, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,180Gear list
Like?
Why, oh why, isn't there a good matching flash for LX3?
Aug 30, 2010

Following advice on this forum, I've just bought (on eBay) an Olympus FL36 flash to work with my LX3 which is a fairly new acquisition.

The FL36 works fine, but the silly thing is that it is so big! It is at least a third bigger than the Kodak P20 dedicated flash for my Kodak P880, but it is slightly less powerful and has only one better feature -- the swivel head. I happily would sacrifice the swivel head for size in this case; the Kodak P20 flash is truly pocketable but the Olympus FL36 (and the Panasonic FL360) a just that bit too big to qualify.

In addition, with the P880, you can use the in-camera and the auxiliary flash together (e.g. for direct light + bounce); you can't do that with the FL30 on the LX3 because the locking nut fouls the pop-up in-camera flash.

So I have the choice of carrying a small camera and a big flash, or a bigger camera and a smaller flash~! Oh no~!

I regard it as a serious negative that the LX3 doesn't have a flash with bounce that matches the size advantage of the camera. \The Kodak P880 demonstrates that it is possible to make a significantly smaller flash which is just as powerful as the FL36/FL360.

I've been interested to read in another thread about the quality of the Schneider lens on the Samsung EX1. The P880 has a beautiful Schneider Xenon f2.8 24-140mm (135 equivalent) lens.

Incidentally, I have bought the Clearviewer magnifying viewfinder for the LX3 -- turns a ditzy snapshotter into a real camera in my view!

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow