Started Aug 30, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Elizabeth Klisiewicz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,389
Like?
Please share your best aquarium shots, tips, and tricks for this K-x shooter
Aug 30, 2010

Shot a disappointing series at Mystic Aquarium today. Shot mostly with the 40/f2.8 limited, but when I opened it up completely, the DOF was too shallow. Stopping it down meant I had to raise the ISO, but even that was no help for most tanks. I found the AF was very difficult to lock on with, so I tried manual focus, but even that was no help because the tanks were so dark I could not find a focus point to target. Used on camera flash with the FEC dialed down, but that also did not do much.

So I am wondering, what are the lenses people on this forum like to use in aquariums?

Do you use external flash or off camera flash with a sync cord (or wireless)?

I have read that some people like to use macro lenses for this type of shooting too.

I just got this camera two weeks ago and don't yet own a flash for it, so I had to work with what I had.

I tried supporting myself against available walls and ledges when I could, but that wasn't much help. This aquarium gets very crowded, so using a tripod is almost impossible, and even a monopod would get in the way.

Here are a few samples. This is the best picture of a clown fish I have achieved, but to my eyes, it is not as sharp as I'd like.

This snapping turtle wanted out:

My daughter and her diving friend:

-- hide signature --

Gallery is online at eklisiewicz.smugmug.com
Pentax k-x, Panasonic FZ-18/FZ-50/LX-3

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow