Started Aug 29, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AlbertSiegel
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
Like?
external microphone
Aug 29, 2010

I finally received the external microphone for the NEX-5. I paid MSRP ($129.99USD) for it since it's a bit difficult to find and took me three weeks to get.

My opinion on it... It is quite small... much smaller than I expected.

The build quality is acceptable. It feels a bit flimsy when attached and can be difficult to attach. The issue is the thumb dial to screw it in place is a bit on the low side and the port cover on the camera blocks enough of it to make it difficult to secure unless you have small fingers and are willing to take your time.

The audio quality, while not the best, is very acceptable (quite good actually) and quite a bit better than the internal camera microphone. The wind screen does work better than I expected. The big downside is the microphone will pick up the sound of the 18-55 lens when you zoom. That is the only camera sound it will pick up outside, so not so bad. I will test indoors later. You cannot zoom the lens while using the external microphone unless you can live with the physical noise of the lens zooming. I suspect the accessory terminal extender will help a great deal to reduce this issue along with the difficulty in attaching it.

My final thoughts... I feel the full $129.99 USD selling price is asking quite a bit more than it's really worth. However, as there is no other option and it is a great improvement over the internal microphone, I would recommend it as a good buy even if fairly overpriced considering SONY has sold better Handycam microphones in the recent past for $79-99USD.

AlbertSiegel's gear list:AlbertSiegel's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-1 Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow