Started Aug 29, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DRCottam
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
D5000 problems in low contrast / low light environments
Aug 29, 2010

I bought a D5000 several months ago for my wife to use, and recently it has started exhibiting a problem that I haven't been able to figure out. I'm hoping somebody on these forums might recognize this issue and point me towards a possible solution.

Whenever attempting to take pictures in low light or even low contrast scenarios, the camera will simply refuse to take pictures. It won't even attempt to autofocus; it simply does nothing when pressing the shutter release button, either halfway or fully. The autofocus assist light will come on, but there is no attempt by the camera to focus the lens at all, and no feedback in the display about focusing errors or issues.

Outside of low light / low contrast environments, this camera works fantastically well and generally takes great pictures. I've actually gotten my wife to use it to take pictures with, instead of using her cellphone, which is something I've never been able to get her to do with my other cameras.

During the last couple of months I've been through every camera setting I can think of, and have not been able to resolve this issue. It did not occur when I first bought the camera. I purchased the camera used, so warranty work is not available, so I've been considering taking to a repair shop, but I'd like to check with others who might own this particular model and see if there is something that I simply have overlooked in my troubleshooting.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-don

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow