Started Aug 27, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gary Vrooman
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
The real problem with the 60D
Aug 27, 2010

I bought my 40D back in early 2008 and for the $1100 I paid for it (body only) I got a true prosumer model with prosumer build quality and prosumer features. Since my 40D just died again (for the second time in 9 months), I was expecting to buy a 60D when it became available. Obviously, that's not going to happen now.

The most disturbing aspect of Canon's new DSLR lineup is the new pricing strategy that comes with it. Canon obviously wants me and others like me to upgrade to a 7D. However, the street price on the 7D, which is soon to be replaced, is $1400 - $1500. When Canon announces a 7D Mark II, it will come out initially at near the full list price of $1699, and eventually maybe make it's way down to $1400 or so before its replacement is shipped. In other words, Canon now wants me to spend between $1400 and $1699 every time I upgrade to its newest prosumer DSLR model.

The problem is that I spent $1100 in 2008 for Canon's prosumer model. I was then (and still am today) willing to spend $1100 for Canon's prosumer DSLR model. However, Canon has chosen not to sell a prosumer model at that price point any more.

I really like the feature set of the 7D and 5D Mark II, but and I am simply not willing to pay Canon's price for them. And there is no model below the 7D which represents a compelling upgrade for me.

I've got several hundred dollars worth of compact flash cards. Does Canon expect me to throw those away? The 60D comes with no AF microadjust? Are you kidding me? If Canon had a reputation for outstanding AF, perhaps they could get away with selling some models without AF microadjust. In fact, they have a reputation for somewhat unreliable AF. Because of that reputation, if they had any sense at all, they would provide AF microadjustment on every single model of DSLR they sell.

So, for the first time since my original Digital Rebel purchase in 2003, there is not one single model in Canon's current DSLR lineup that holds any interest for me. Make no mistake, I'd love to have the features of the 7D or 5D Mark II, but I am not willing to pay those prices. And no model below that makes any sense for me.

Adding on to all this is the fact that last December my 40D started producing Error 99s, and I had to spend $200 at Canon factory service to get it fixed. Now, 9 months later (but only about 500 shutter actuations later), I'm getting Error 99s again. Of course, Canon's repair of my 40D only had a 3 month warranty, so it's time to either spend another $200 or throw the 40D away.

Honestly folks, what else could Canon possibly do to me to try to convince me that they don't want me as a customer any more?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow