Lightweight E-3 Alternative - Advice please ?

Started Aug 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gigi B
Regular MemberPosts: 247
Like?
Lightweight E-3 Alternative - Advice please ?
Aug 26, 2010

I love my E-3 and would never part with it, especially for it's image quality, robust build, flippy screen and that wonderful viewfinder.

I have a nice collection of pro lenses, to make the most of it's image quality and colours.

At the moment I'm recuperating from major surgery to the chest and tummy, and can't lift anything heavy for a few months, so the E-3 is too heavy for me.
I mostly shoot macro, cats, birds and landscape.

I still have my first Oly, the excellent E-510, which is nice and light, but doesn't have the flippy screen, and a few problems with dynamic range.

So I've been thinking about a lightweight alternative, will the E-620 fit the bill as a mini E-3 ?
With standard or pro glass, will it's image quality be as good as the E-3 ?

I've been looking at the E-P2 and the E-PL1, but have read of their slow auto focusing, and I just can't see the point of having to add an adapter - and more weight - to that smaller body. I don't really want to buy micro lenses which won't be as good as the ones I already have.

After all, it was the image quality of the Oly glass that drew me to this system in the first place.

Would it be a good idea to get the E-620 as an alternative / second body to the E-3 ?
The E-620 is much cheaper now then when it first came out...

I'm very aware of Photokina next month, and don't want to rush into getting something I might regret. Although by the time it is announced, and when the product actually is available in shops can mean months of waiting, and by then I might be able to use the E-3 again !

It's nearly spring, and I have to go for daily walks as part of my recuperation, and would love to have a lightweight camera with me... maybe I should just make the most of the E-510, though the E-620 does look very appealing...

Sorry for the long post, and I know you can go nuts with indecision.
I'd love to hear advice and opinions please !

-- hide signature --

My Gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23773763@N07/

UK Photo Safari Group (International Member)
( http://www.ukphotosafari.org/ )

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EP2New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow