ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SR Works
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
LR3 - getting accurate white balance
Aug 26, 2010

Hello,

I apologize if this topic has been discussed before – I did a search but the results were from 2 and 3 years ago, so I wondered if something may have changed in recent Lightroom updates.

I've primarily used Capture NX as my raw converter, but I'm currently making the transition to LR3. Is there a way to make the white balance sampler tool in LR3 take an average of pixels, rather than sample a single pixel?

I'm currently shooting a bunch of bedding (sheets, duvet covers, etc.) so my color has to be spot on. I always include an X-rite Gray Scale card in my shots and I do a pre white balance in-camera for each new lighting set-up. In the past, when I used Capture NX I simply double-checked my white balance with the marquee sampler tool which gave me an average of the grey patch on the X-rite card. I've rarely had any color issues with my clients.

However, the white balance sampler tool in LR3 seem to only sample a single pixel at a time, and every pixel on my X-rite card is a bit different, so the white balance setting can vary by as much as 200 points from one pixel to the next. In the end, I'm just eyeballing it and adjusting the white balance manually, which makes all of my careful front-end work of pre-white balance and including the X-Rite card a waste of time. There has to be a more accurate way.

Anyone know of a workaround or have any suggestions with LR3?

Thanks in advance,

Stuart
--
http://www.stuartruckman.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow