Started Aug 24, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dave163
Regular MemberPosts: 377
Like?
Disgusted with Sony...
Aug 24, 2010

They're an utter disgrace, these people at Sony.

Not only do they have the cheek to come up with a camera that beats the living daylights out of Canon and Nikon, but they manage to get a copy to DPR for review less than six months after it's officially announced.

Did I say camera? Oh no, it's not even a proper camera. Some Japanese technician decided to stick video onto it, so Sony can't even claim to still be alone amongst the DSLR makers in sticking to purely photographic tools any more like the lovely A700.

It sucks.

Hmmm. On second thoughts I'm surprised to find I'm the only troll making these points.

Though in truth I'm not a troll at all, but for the past four years a very happy Alpha DLSR user. And I wish Sony the best for this innovative new photographic tool.

However, I'm curious about two things.

In keeping a translucent mirror in the way of the main sensor, surely it reduces light transmission and hence worsens dark scenes shot at high ISO. Is this a price worth paying for better focussing, or should Sony have put more effort into improving contrast focussing? After all, other EVIL cameras like the Nexus and micro 4/3s claim a key advantage is having a much shorter optical path between lens and sensor, which is denied to the A55. Why has Sony chosen to go for a translucent mirror which has the inherent disadvantages of SLR-length optical path and 0.5EV sensitivity? Are these a price worth paying for its better focussing abilities?

Secondly, I am surprised that evidently noone yet has produced an interchangable lens camera with a shutter-style diaphragm fitted just behind the lens mount that could spring closed when the lens is off to protect the camera innards but (perhaps by the act of twisting on a lens) open out internally when a lens is on, to prevent dust from entering the camera body when the lens is off. Is there a practical reason why something evidently so simple in concept is not being used in practice?

Dave

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow