ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Iso1975
Regular MemberPosts: 334
Like?
Pentax K10D + 18-55 - Never ever sharp Part 2
Aug 24, 2010

Hey there,

Following this thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=36008382 I'd like to give you some feedback on the testings I've been doing.

Unfortunatly there are no brick walls around, so no way to shoot one to test the focus. What I've been doing is testing the camera with the Focus Test chart with different focusing settings.

When I try the camera with AF center, 18mm or 55mm and no changes on AF settings, it always comes out slightly out of focus/blurred.

When I start messing around with the settings I eventualy get sharp pictures. The problem is that the settings for, let's say, 18mm and 55mm focal distance are never the same.

For example, I might get a sharp picture at 18mm with AF area test 0 or 1 and focus correction +40, but at 55mm I will get it at AF area test 2 and focus correction +40.

At area test 3, AF never managed to lock.

I have ruled out the human error, so please don't tell me that I don't understand AF and that I don't know how to use it and etc. This is clearly a lens/AF that never worked at 100% and that now is just producing really bad results.

So my question is: messing around with the service menu and trying to correct the lens focus will help and solve the problem, or should I just think on getting another lens?

It seems Pentax has left Portugal. The distributor is now in Spain and buying a Pentax lens on a store is too expensive. The solution would be to buy a Sigma or tamron 18-200 that are on my budget, because I would not want to be spending too much money on Pentax, since my next camera will not be a Pentax almost for sure, since there is no representation in Portugal

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow