Started Aug 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?
What has happened to this forum!?
Aug 20, 2010

I've been visiting a bit because my husband needs a new camera. He has an FZ18 which is dying (again -- the first time on warranty). I am a happy owner of a Panasonic G1 and an Olympus E620, but I know my husband doesn't want to deal with multiple lenses, etc.

I thought the FZ100 would be perfect for him because he wants a "big zoom" and likes to do video. So I've been reading reviews and this forum... I have become very concerned about the quality of the FZ100 and really appreciate people's comments and pictures. This is a very small sensor and they are trying to get a lot of pixels out of it. And maybe CMOS is not ready for this type of camera...

What are these threads that one should not criticize a camera coming from? I am here in order to find out how good the camera is, not to read advertising propaganda! And yes, a 100% crop DOES MATTER if you care about quality.

I have an FZ50 and it is not perfect. And yes, I'd like to see a better follow-on camera with many of its features. 100% crops show some of the problems of the FZ50 that don't show in teeny pictures made for the web. The two biggest problems I had were smooshing of many landscape shots -- lack of detail that made them unusable as sharp pictures even at 11x14 -- and noise that is very difficult to either live with or to remove. And the FZ50 has a larger sensor than the FZ100 and it doesn't look like technology has advanced enough.

So please stop this nonsense that the forum can't be used to criticize. Surely that is one of its main purposes! Those who only shoot for the web and 4x6 prints will probably be happy. Those who want to print larger or sell their pictures need to pay attention and understand what they are getting.

I am going to continue to read useful threads on FZ100 quality before I decide what new camera I recommend for him. Please, people, continue to post comments and pictures from the FZ100, both negative and positive!

-- hide signature --
 JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow