Wedding photographers... how was your summer?

Started Aug 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,537
Like?
Wedding photographers... how was your summer?
Aug 17, 2010

Ok, I realize that summer really isn't completely over yet. But final booking for this summer season has long since been over. And so I am curious, in this worst economy in decades, with record unemployment and foreclosures, and an ever widening gap between rich and poor, how did your summer season turn out this year?

I, for one, don't mind being honest: it was lousy on this end. Last year was my second-busiest year (2003 being the best in regards to revenue), but this year was near the bottom. Fewer inquiries and a smaller percentage of bookings from that number. Most notably, however, were the number of brides who openly said that price was the number one issue. And, after actually photographing these weddings, they lived up to their claim. In the past, it was not unusual for someone to SAY that they were being thrifty only to show up at the wedding and discover that the wedding was anything but budget-minded. This year, most of them genuinely are. We've seen fewer served dinners and more "finger foods" receptions. We've seen fewer bridesmaids instead of 12 or more girls at a time. We've seen fewer limos, more conservative flowers, and more home-made ceremony programs. And, tellingly, our wedding have been noticeably SHORTER; whereas 8 hours used to be common, the majority of ours this year are about 5. Finally, I'm hearing more negative comments about other photographers. Seems that at half of our weddings, we're hearing from a bridesmaid who shares how she was recently married and was so unhappy with her photographer. In the past, former brides most often bragged how good their guy was. We've not heard that in a long time, which tells me that there's a lot of new folks in the market place who may not be sharp tacks.

Thanks for your feedback. Looking to make 2011 better!

-- hide signature --

Michael Thomas Mitchell

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow