Started Aug 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
djwuk
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
nikkor 18-70 vs tamron/sigma 17-50 vc/os
Aug 17, 2010

my nikkor 18-70 has been my 'bread & butter' lens, you could say since i moved up to dslr's and it continues to serve me well. i'm becoming increasingly attracted to the idea of supplementing it with a faster image stabilised f2.8 zoom and considering the tamron & sigma models listed above - it seems to me that both lenses would have their own uses. the sigma is just out and substantially more expensive than the tamron but this may be simply becuase its new. i'd be grateful for anyone's experiences of how these lenses compare, and how they compare with the nikkor 18-70. in comparison with the nikkor i'm particularly interested in comments on the following;

general iq/sharpness

bokeh

barrel distortion. wide open this is noticeable (but not to a huge degree) with the nikkor, particularly on landscape shots

thanks

djwuk's gear list:djwuk's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow