Sigma 150mm Macro with Canon 1.4X/2X Extenders?

Started Aug 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richiedodson
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?
Sigma 150mm Macro with Canon 1.4X/2X Extenders?
Aug 17, 2010

Just wondering if anyone has experience using the Sigma 150mm Macro at all vs any of the Canon?

Is there a significant difference between the Canon 100mm IS or 180mm in terms of image quality? (focal length aside) or is the Sigma comparable in IQ and sharpness?

I haven't read any posts suggesting that Canon Extenders cannot be used - I know the lens can be used with Extenders but many posts argue Kenko or Sigma but do not mention Canon. Canon Extenders work with the Sigma right?

I generally painstakingly save until I can afford exactly what I want. All my lenses are L except for a 15mm Fisheye. I don't have a Macro at all currently and I rarely see myself using one for 'work' it would just be nice to have one in the kit I think. (I do have a 500D closeup but I never use it)

My dilemma is: IS seems to be valuable when hand-holding a macro shot but the EF100mm allows 1:1 and that's it... the 180mm allows extenders which could be very useful and a bit more fun for extreme macro - but I think IS would be a bigger benefit on this lens - I can foresee an IS upgrade to the 180 not far away. A sigma allows Extenders - and is a similar price to the 100m L. Sigma seems a good option here provided the IQ is good.

Bodies: 1D4/5D2

Any comments appreciated... Thanks!
--
'high IQ'

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow