Does Anyone NOT Use Software to Organize Photo's?

Started Aug 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,971
Like?
Re: Getting out of Dodge
In reply to iGirl, Aug 16, 2010

iGirl wrote:

I also expect that LR is not as fully DAM oriented as AP. Even iPhoto seems more DAM oriented than LR at least on the surface...

I think a lot of people totally underestimate Lightroom's abilities as a DAM or at least have not bothered to study how it works. There are those on this forum who have engaged in "AP vs LR as a DAM" threads in the past, and from what I remember there were only a few little things separating the two. Those were enough for the Aperture crowd to pick that app, and their reasons were sound, but that doesn't mean Lightroom is way, way down at the level of iPhoto.

iPhoto is nowhere near as effcient as LR/AP at applying keywords, applying extended IPTC metadata, filtering by metadata, rating, labeling, flagging, etc. In a lot of those areas iPhoto simply cannot do it at all.

If you were to put DAM abilities on a scale of 1 to 10, probably iPhoto would be a 2, Lightroom a 7.5, and Aperture an 8. (Please, let's not start arguing in this thread about the exact notches on this scale, it was just a quick example.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow