Canon 5D Mk II and professional microphones

Started Aug 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
Victor Engel
Forum ProPosts: 15,254Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 5D Mk II and professional microphones
In reply to humuk, Aug 16, 2010

The juicedlink DT-454 gives you what you need.
http://www.juicedlink.com/audio-preamps-mixers-etc/product-list/jl-dt454

I like it because you can monitor the sound with headphones.

Or, since you already have preamps, you can simply use an appropriate XLR to 1/8 inch jack adapter. Sorry I don't have a link handy to the appropriate one. You of course need to be aware of impedance, stereo/mono issues, etc. There are adapters out there that take care of all that for you. I know B&H has one that's recommended, and that's what I was going to cite, but as I said, I don't have the link handy.

It was something like this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423360-REG/Hosa_Technology_MIT_156_MIT_156_Low_to_High.html#features

There are a bunch of them out there. Some of them will output the mono mic input to both stereo channels. Others will output to only one. You need the transformer, though.

humuk wrote:

Hi,

We're a music production company trying to put together some promo videos for our website. The main content will be video interviews/talking heads with our composers/clients.

We have the 5D Mk II, and of course have professional microphones/pre-amps etc. However, recoding audio to digital cameras/video camera's is new to us and I hoped someone may be able to point me in the right direction for getting good quality audio. The previous video camera we had came with XLR inputs, so we could go straight into the camera from the microphone, but I'm aware that the 5D has an unbalanced stereo 3.5mm mini jack instead.

I've done some research into how to connect microphones to the 5D, but am a bit unsure in regards to the impedance matching needed. Our plan is to use an AKG 414 mic, run it through one of our studio mic pre-amps, and then send that feed into the mic input of the 5D, with AGC turned off.

Do you think this would work, or have I missed something really obvious that would make this method unworkable?

Thanks

Jack

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow