Started Aug 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
manny_d
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
Convergence
Aug 16, 2010

I first encountered this word 10 years ago while still working in the telecom industry.

convergence, bringing different services/products under one platform or device (my meaning). mobile telephony, SMS, video, still images, internet, VOD, Stock market, satellite tv, games, online games, bookies, into a small portable device. This is cellphone or smartphones.

Convergence in photography. Photography and video in smartphones are still in a primitive state. I suggested by sending email to Olympus, to abandon the manufacturing of slr-like camera bodies and instead focus on optical development, while negotiating with Nokia, Apple, HTC, Motorola, Samsung etc to replace their phone sensor with 4:3 sensor. The savings Olympus derives from stopping manufacturing of camera bodies is enormous and more time to develop the fame Olympus lens.

Imagine an FF sensor and FF lens on your Droid phone. i still prefer 4:3 lens and sensor for ultimate IQ, portability and convergence of services and features in one body.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow