ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
valleyman
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Lens suggestion for China
Aug 16, 2010

Hello everyone,

I recently switched from a 40D to a 5D I and absolutely love the handling (viewfinder!) and results I get.

On the lens side, I have the Canon 24-105, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8, and the Canon 70-300 (planning to sell it as I rarely use it).

I'll be in China (mostly Beijing and Shanghai) for 2 weeks in September and I'd like to travel lightly so I thought about bringing the 24-105mm and the 50mm only.

I really loved the 24-105 on my 40D as a general walkaround lens. The reach together with the Tokina 12-24 was enough for me most of the time.
Unfortunately, I find the 24-105 not to be very overwhelming at 24mm on the 5D.

I thought about getting a 17-40 and bring it along. WA sure is interesting in tight cityscapes.
However, I don't want to carry all my lenses.
So basically it's either the 24-105 + 50 or the 17-40 + 50 or 85.

I could still sell the 17-40 after this trip for (hopefullly) only a small loss as I want to keep my inventory small

I also wanted to see what focal lengths I use the most, but didn't know how to evaluate this in Aperture.

Hmm, so should I give the 17-40 a try and go with it + 1 prime or stick with the 24-105 + 1 prime?
I am planning to shoot city / street scenes, portraits, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow