The differences between the NX5 and the NX10...

Started Aug 15, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Helen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,012
Like?
The differences between the NX5 and the NX10...
Aug 15, 2010

Whilst we're waiting for more info about the NX100 to surface, I decided to look into what the differences between the cheaper NX5 and the current NX10 are, precisely, seeing as the NX5 has surfaced in the UK (it's being sold now at Jessops, but is only £50 less than the NX10), and they appear to be near-identical. It's not possible to be absolutely certain, but certainly the illustrations at Jessops show it with the same OIS version of the 18-55 lens rather than the non-stabilised one that was initially rumoured.

It really looks like there are only 3 differences, and one is just a minor cosmetic difference. The most well-known/publicised change is the loss of the AMOLED monitor for a normal TFT version of the same size; the TFT is a 230k pixel unit, versus the AMOLED's 614k pixels with PenTile array. I note that the NX5's monitor/EVF coverage is given as 98%, versus 100% on the NX10. Of course, some 230k TFTs are pretty good (it seems to depend on the precise component used - there must be many variants out there) but I guess a TFT is never going to be as easy on the battery as the AMOLED (though the same battery usage figures are quoted for both models) nor as responsive (though some have said the AMOLED looks a bit soft to them - I guess it's maybe to do with the PenTile pixel array, though it always looks lovely and sharp to me - plus the AMOLED's high refresh rate looks nice and fluid, and no dots are visible [that must be the PenTile array again]).

The other physical difference is the EVF. The NX10 has a 921k (VGA) resolution EVF (though I've always noticed that it doesn't use full resolution in capture, only in playback and menus), whilst the NX5 has a 201k (QVGA) EVF. Again, the NX5's image coverage in the EVF is 98% versus 100% in the NX10, and it has a 17mm (versus 20.2mm in the NX10) eyepoint, with very slightly lower magnification than the NX10's (0.83x versus 0.86x).

The only other difference appears to be the replacement of the NX10's rather unusual mode dial design/fiinish (which was a bit of a carryover from the GX20/Pentax K20D with its raised markings) to a typical smooth, lithographed metal plate glued onto the top of the dial (as on most cameras these days).

I own (and am very pleased with) the NX10; I haven't even handled the NX5 myself but just decided to dig up the detailed specs on the web and go through them. I guess the NX5 is intended to compete more directly with Panasonic's G10; presumably both the NX5 and G10 will drop to a lower price in the future, to separate them better from their more expensive siblings. The NX5 should be a bargain if its price drops significantly, as it doesn't lose so much compared with the NX10 as the G10 does compared with the G2.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow